- The Government of the District of Columbia manages the sale of its surplus assets through online auction sales on www.dcgovt.govdeals.com.
- Items such as furniture, electronics, and used automobiles are auctioned by the Office of Contract and Procurement’s Surplus Property Division.
Lunch Time Reduction Tips
- Do you have a sink or dishwasher in your office kitchenette? Consider having reusable plates, bowls, and utensils in the office.
- BYOM- Bring Your Own Mug for tea or coffee instead of single-use cups.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers in a lunch box.
- Ask your caterer for group events to provide in bulk rather than individual portions.
Reducing Paper Tips
- Go paperless! Store files digitally rather than printing.
- Change default printer settings to double-sided printing.
- Reuse the back-side of pages of misprints for notes.
- Change margins to fit more text and use less paper.
- Use a stick-on label rather than a page cover sheet when faxing.
- Reuse file folders and envelopes using stick-on labels.
- Review documents onscreen rather than printing.
- Embrace one of the key principles of sustainable consumption – Shop your own closet – by holding an office freecycle event.
- Invite office colleagues to clean out office storage closets and de-clutter their workspaces by contributing unused or unwanted office supplies to the event.
- Attendees “shop” the collection of items. When the event is over, celebrate your success by sharing the value of the items exchanged.
- Donate unclaimed items. Visit here for the donate directory.