Some waste should not be disposed of in your recycling or trash bins. Below you will find a list of options for properly recycling or disposing of special waste.
Benning Road Transfer Station Special Waste Residential Drop-Off
District residents can drop off many types of special waste at the Benning Road Transfer Station at no cost. To learn about hours, directions and more click here.
- Address: 3200 Benning Road NE, Washington, DC, 200019
- Hours: Every Saturday 7 am – 2 pm (except holidays) & Thursday preceding the first Saturday of the month (10 am - 2 pm).
- Document Shredding: available on the first Saturday of each month between 7 am - 2 pm.
Electronics are banned from trash starting on January 1, 2018.
- Drop off and recycle at the Fort Totten Transfer Station.
- Find additional recycling options through the District's electronics stewardship program, eCYCLE DC.
- Drop off and recycle alkaline, lithium, rechargeable, and car batteries at the Fort Totten Transfer Station.
- Find additional drop-off locations for rechargeable batteries with Call2Recycle.
- To safely store all used rechargeable batteries, tape the batteries at the ends with clear packing, masking or electrical tape.
The Sustainable DC (SDC) Textiles Reuse & Recovery Initiative provides local residents and visitors resources for decreasing the impact that their clothing (and other textiles) has on the environment.
- At this time, the District does not have a needle disposal program.
- Here is a step-by-step guidance sheet on proper disposal of needles and sharps.
- Do NOT flush or pour prescription drugs down the drain.
- Check the National Drug Take-Back Day for an upcoming event.
- Find permanent drug disposal sites using the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy’s locator or the US Department of Justice’s Controlled Substance Public Disposal Locator.
- If you cannot make it to a drop-off location or event, mix crushed pills or liquid with dirt, cat litter, or used coffee grounds, then put in the trash. Recycle empty bottle after removing personal information and label from the bottle.
Residents may bring up to 5 medium-sized boxes of personal documents to the Fort Totten Transfer Station on the first Saturday of the month between 8 am – 3 pm.